Here’s a thing I’m going to try and do more often. I watch educational programming or advertisements or reviews on Youtube from time to time and I take notes, and then I try to make sure I remember those notes. With that in mind, here’s a little talk about Procrastination I watched today and the notes I took on it.
Shout out to SJA for putting this video in my path.
- Emotional intelligence helps you with resisting procrastination
- Economic models are very cold and require rational actors
- Delays are not procrastination, but procrastination are delay
- There are actual developmental barriers here, and you can’t expect everyone to handle this the same way
- Negative reinforcement is about avoiding negative things, not about being punished
- ‘People who are procrastinating,’ not ‘procastinators’
- Working Under Pressure is a persistent myth
- Procrastination can be connected to more optimistic thought patterns, which I imagine makes it difficult with mental patterns like depression
- Goal intentions vs Implementation intentions not ‘I’ll work on the assignment tonight’ but ‘I will do the structural outline of section 2, after dinner.’
- Having definitive plans makes tasks seem more handleable.