Ah, February, I remember it just like it was last week. Well, what could I possibly have been using as my theme for the custom cards of Smooch Month? What’s that? You already have worked it out? It was so bloody obvious you got it after the literal first card I shared?
Well, if you’re going to be like that,
Warning: Wizards employees, this post contains primarily custom magic cards.
The theme is Partners With. All the cards presented have Partners With, and the default assumption is that the characters are some variety of ‘couple.’ But I also wanted to make sure that for all that these characters may be in what you’d consider a ‘couple’ there are still some that aren’t just ‘oh, these two people are kissing.’
In that vein there are some real oddballs, and I’ll talk more about them at the end.
This whole gallery was an enormous pain in the ass to decide how to arrange. I wound up opting for card number, but – so it starts with each card, and then that card’s partner.
Okay, so some ‘lore’ for these ideas:
- There are surprisingly few boyfriends here. This is because finding art of two dudes hanging out in a way that could be romantic? Kinda tricky, which is a bummer.
- The Court of Tenebrae are a set of characters from Fox’s D&D setting, and were created to answer the question ‘how do you represent a polycule without giving a player three extra cards?’
- The Emerald Shell and the Hog of Dreams are just a reference to Green Eggs and Ham
- Athen and Reya, I’m not sure about the details, but I’m pretty sure Reya is a trans lady, and Athen may be her boyfriend, or he may be her Ally who’s pledged to protect her and actually stands by her when she did something gender nonconforming.
- Elly and Jewel are references to an Australian TV show from the 80s
- Bolan and Quinn’s cards have ‘gal pal’ on them
- Jorun was originally named ‘vampire malewife.’